.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

DIY Red Cape + DIY Pants: Pattern Review V8776

Hi Darlings! I finally was able to finish hand sewing my cape and added the gold coat snaps that I wanted but had to order online. For whatever reason I can never find gold snaps at the store, I find copper, silver, black but NEVER the gold; fortunately I have a resource for notions and trimmings and if you need it Pacific Trimming has it.

I knew when I bought my red wool fabric  that I was going to make this cape and because the wool is textured it just gives the cape an added touch. I had first seen Erica B make it last year I think but the pattern sat on my "To-Sew" list and I just did not get around to making it. I also loved that she went for more of the Giambattista Fall 2010 look and omitted the buttons on the pattern so I did the same and omitted the button holes and instead ordered the gold snaps for my look. I am also wearing DIY pants I have made several times and wore HERE reviewed HERE


Pattern Review V8776 View A




Pattern Description: Semi-fitted, unlined cape has convertible collar, lower side front seams with pockets and stitched hems. No provisions provided for above waist adjustments.

Pattern Sizing: I cut the small but could have cut the x-small. I wanted to make sure I could move my arms so I went for the small but now that I am wearing it I think I could have gotten away with the x-small.

Did it look like the drawing on the pattern once you were done sewing with it? Yep with the exception of the visible buttons.

Were the instructions easy to follow? This is actually a pretty easy cape to make, it is unlined but has some self facings in the front of the cape with needed some hand sewing but all in all it is an easy to follow pattern with clear instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Like I mentioned above I loved the cape from the Giambattista collection when I saw Victoria Beckham wearing it and then my friend Erica B made it in camel and I knew I had to have one.

Fabric Used: Red Textured Wool/Poly Blend found HERE (use code: mimiholiday for 10% off) and I used THIS interfacing which you can get HERE

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I only omitted the button holes per the pattern instructions.

Would you sew it again? No, I love the cape but I only need one of these in this shape so I will move on to the other 3 capes I want to make, lol

Would you recommend it to others? Yes!


Get The Look
Red Cape (similar) HERE / Teal Trousers (similar) HERE / J. Crew Bag / Gap Sunglasses (old)



 Back View, It hangs so nicely 


Love the way it swings from the side 


Close Ups





37 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,

    One word...FABULOUS! Love those teal pants too...you are the bomb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Mimi - just awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No more red highlights Mimi...was it semi-permenant..or you had to dyed it back black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a temp color that I washed out using loreal color lift and then dyed the bleached hair back to black.

      Delete
  4. Mimi that red is so AWESOME and you are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so fabulous! My goodness... Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your version. Now I need red outerwear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi,
    I absolutely love your outfit. Those pants are fabulous. Pants are the one thing I cannot make. Well, I can make them but they don't fit. I always have too much fabric under my rear. I have tried a couple of different alterations that didn't work--fisheye and modified version of it. Do you have any suggestions for what I could do? I really want to be successful at pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things that can make fitting pants a nightmare and I wish I had a quick fix but It has taken me years to get a good fit on my pants and most of i has been trial an error. Now what I do is I immediatley take out the excess in pant legs by slashing the center of the pant leg (on the pattern) and overlapping. Then I add what I took out to the side of the leg because if its too big or wide after the side is easier to take out then the middle of the leg where that fabric tends to pool.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. I have another alteration in mind that I am going to try.

      Delete
  8. FABRIC, the fabric on that jacket, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks SO GOOD. I might need to make one now myself. Although I think I would go for classic black - can't help it I'm a New Yorker. Great job and thanks for the great inspiration as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *love* it. I'm making the same one and just waiting for my snaps to come in. It does make me wish I'd seen this yesterday, before I ordered boring black!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome...love these pants...

    http://fashiontalkwithdaca.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole look is great! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cape is simply awesome! And so are the pants! I would love to make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was excited to see how it turned out. It's beautiful! I love the texture of the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is very cute! Love the teal combo as well! I love that you are bringing much more to your fashion blog than others in that you are encouraging others to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally fab!! Beautiful cape and I love the pop of gold! You have such great style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This might be my fave thing that you've ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! You are inspiring me to get my aunt to show me how to make some things. Now I regret dropping that sewing class I had my senior year in high school:( Damn! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. It turned out fantastic. I love the thickness and texture of the fabric and the gold snaps are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word. You are killin' 'em! That look is FANTASTIC. Pin, pin, pin!!! Wonderful workmanship - I am in total awe, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the coat!! I've tried to make the pants and ended up with the Hammer look...not sure what I did wrong lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mimi, this is beautiful! For myself I'd want a drapier version. I think I'd face it with something lighter, do you think? It doesn't look like the facings would show much?

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mimi, the cape looks great! I have the pattern and am ready to make myself one, too. According to my measurements, I should make the small but I'm wondering if I should try the xsmall? I'm 5'4" and 110lbs… which size would you recommend? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.