.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DIY Top & Pants: Pattern Review on V8688 & V1051

Okay here we go with some reviews! I will do two separate pattern reviews in the same post because I am wearing two items that I made recently and have yet to review. A few weeks ago I made a self drafted dress  that many of you really liked so when i came across this pattern I thought this is the perfect pattern to modify and get the same result from my self drafted pattern so that I could share it with you in case you wanted to make the same top.

Here we go...
V8688 View B Modified
Pattern Description: Close-fitting tops A, B, C are cut on the crosswise grain, have dolman sleeves and stitched hems.

Pattern Sizing: I cut the small because I did not want it to be close fitting if it was going to look like my self drafted one.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? well no not really, lol

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them since I had altered the pattern I just did it my way.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I liked that it was basic enough so I could easily alter it.

Fabric Used: Striped lightweight DK I found at Mood Fabrics

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: okay so if you saw this dress then it will make more sense what I did to this pattern. First pick a size larger then what you normally would cut ( I normally would have cut this as an XS so instead I cut the S to get the right loose fit) then I knew that I wanted to eliminate the dolman sleeves so I measured 5" from the neck edge towards the shoulder and marked it, then I measured down from that point to the point where the waist starts to curve creating that dolman sleeve and I cut. Then I just took some of the curve out of the sleeve I had chopped off so it resembled a regular sleeve and tapered it to be fitted. I also made the scoop neck a little bigger so I could wear it off my shoulder, then all I did was add 1/4" SA to both pieces. The only other change was that I added a curve to the hem.

Conclusion: I got the same exact look and with minimal effort, love it!

PR: V1051
Pattern Description: Close-fitting tops A, B, C are cut on the crosswise grain, have dolman sleeves and stitched hems.
Pattern Description: Slightly flared legged pants A, B (semi-fitted through the hip) have below-waistline contour waistband with fly zipper closing


Pattern Sizing: 8

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them because i have made these pants at lead 4 times. The first time I read them I would have to say, yes! the instructions are clear.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like this pattern because it is easy to alter/ add or simplify and it always fits great.

Fabric Used: Medium Weight Twill

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: not anything major but I did make them more fitted through the hip and gave them a slightly bigger flare.

Conclusion: I love my pants!

What I Wore
V8688 Top & V1051 Pants
MK Bag w/ Tory Burch Sunnies
DIY Scarf in a Fab Linen Jersey Blend

Tory Burch Cuff
BCBG Bling Bracelet
White & Gold Ring from F21
MK Eternity Band & Coach Bangle

xoxo
mimi g.

6 comments:

  1. nice look these pants look amazing on u !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the WHOLE look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your edit of this pattern. Stripes always produce a winning look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i was a better pattern person and more advanced sewer -- this top would be a staple in my wardrobe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.